Call for Board Candidate Nominations
SCCi is the world's largest land conservancy solely dedicated to cave and karst conservation. The Board of Directors provides strategic oversight for the organization including stewardship of 31 cave preserves, responsible planning for future acquisitions and the management of over $2 million in assets. Currently, SCCi has a 5-year strategic plan which provides for the future growth and direction of the organization. You can read a summary of that plan by clicking here.
The following should be reviewed before deciding to run for the a board seat.
Expectations of Board Members
- Must be willing to actively serve a full 3-year term, if elected.
- Must know and support SCCi’s mission and strategic plan.
- Must acknowledge the accountability, legal liabilities, and possibility of exposure to litigation while serving as a Director.
- Must acknowledge that as a Director they will be considered ambassadors for SCCi and will be viewed as such by everyone. Individual actions will reflect on the SCCi as a whole.
- Must recognize the cost, both in time & money, associated with board service. Examples may include telephone expense, property research, and travel to attend meetings and events.
- Must have email capability as much of SCCi business is conducted outside of scheduled meetings.
- Beneficial to have attended previous Board meeting(s) to see how SCCi conducts its business.
- Beneficial to possess knowledge, skill, and experience with financial matters for running a business. Being able to understand the nuances of the annual operating budget, the balance sheet, and the income statements prepared by the Treasurer is critical to the continued success of the SCCi.
- Beneficial to possess leadership experience obtained from either career venues or from serving in leadership roles in organizations outside of work.
- Should possess an overall understanding of conservation challenges associated with caves and karst properties.
- Support the SCCi financially according to your individual means.
- Realize that fundraising is a major activity of SCCi. Board members are expected to take an active role in fundraising and seeking donations.
Schedule of Elections (all days end at midnight Eastern time)
July 12, 2017 Nominations and Candidate Statements Due
July 19, 2017 Elections Open (A voting link will be emailed. If you do not have an email address on file or your email bounces, you will be mailed a notification postcard to the address on file).
August 19, 2017 Election Closes
August 26, 2017 Results Announced at Quarterly Board Meeting